Sunday, June 3, 2012

春 - Spring 2012

At work we had two weeks of training. I learned a few things from it, but I was glad to get back to teaching.

My new schools are Aihara JHS and Taimada ES. They are VERY different from Nakano. The kids are WAY quieter. It's taken them a long time, but I think they finally are warming up to me. I joined the art club again (cause I don't want to get in the way at the other clubs).

My friend asked me to do a dance with her at another culture festival. We danced to two anime songs with her friend, daughter, and daughter's friends.


It's really common in Japan to do something called 花見 (Hanami). The best translation for it in English would be “flower viewing.” Basically, when the sakura flowers are out in full bloom, everyone goes on picnics to appreciate them. We went with our neighbor Takahashi and his wife. Takahashi is one of my favorite people in Japan. He's very grandfather-like. I really respect him. His English is amazing too! I can't believe how well he can speak English, despite not formally practicing for the last 40 or so years. That is amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment