I got to wear a real Japanese furisode at the Kota International Society. And not just the top layer...THE WHOLE THING. Underwear included. Be prepared, this entry is going to be image heavy. Meaning...if you have dial-up, this is going to load VERY VERY SLOWLY.
Okay, so this whole thing started at 2:00, so we had to be there a little early to prepare. I had no idea what to expect, so I was super stoked.
There were three "models" at the event: me, a teacher at William's named Natalie, and a girl that is in my Japanese class who's name I can't remember and feel terrible about. I hope I can learn it, cause she's really cool.
When we got there, they put us into these under kimono things. The other girls were much shorter and much more petite than myself, so I think they were easier to dress. My under kimono thing was a bit short, and the dressers had to add some padding to me to make me less...well...curvy. See, kimonos have a cylindrical shape, which they strive to keep. Girls like me have to wear padding around the waist to make it bigger, and above the chest to make it flatter.
Old school sexy. Suck on that Victoria's Secret.
Even the underwear is pretty!
My feet were huge, so it took two people to squeeze them into the tabi. Somehow, it worked.
After they put the underwear and tabi on us, we got our hair done. I was told to wear my hair up, so I did. But, lucky for us, there was a professional hair stylist! She took down my hair and was shocked at the sheer volume of it (I have a ton of hair if you didn't know). They decided to curl it a bit and put it on one side of my head. I must say, they did an excellent job. I was very happy with the result!
Getting my hair done always makes me feel girly.
I felt super pretty with the flowers in my hair.
Then they put the furisode on us. Poor Natalie had to switch with me, because her's was too long! I thought they were one-size-fits-all...but I guess not! Then we went out into the main hall for the demo. They dressed us one by one in front of the crowd, and each one of us got a different kind of bow.
No obi...yet.
Obi bows are complicated. And obi ARE EXTREMELY TIGHT.
That's like ten different kinds of awesome right there.
After the demo, we posed for pictures and then did an English class! It was fun to take pictures with the members of KIA.
A couple of my students came, which was pretty sweet.
My super amazing Japanese teacher was there! She's the best!
The final product of the day. Three kimono-clad ladies.
We're bringing sexy back.
These are the ladies who put the kimono on me.
And of course, me and my lovely cameraman. He's a good sport.
All and all, it was one of the most wonderful experiences in my life. I'll remember and cherish it forever.
you are so pretty in this!!!!! looks like a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteyou are beautiful girl even in a kimono. I have never seen your hair done so beautifully. You were very striking and Rhett was probably very amazed and awed by your striking beauty. We miss you so much and Adrianna misses you even more. We moved into our own apartment so I will email you on facebook and give you our new address. Love ya lots
ReplyDeleteAnna and family
Hey Alexis.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking at your blog now. You had a great experience at Kota International Society. Most of the foreigners understand how Kimonos are beautiful, but no people understand how uncomfortable Kimonos are. I think you may feel wearing Kimono is much more fun than uncomfortable feeling. You, your Kimono, Obi (waistband) and your hair style are all perfect. Three girls back style are just same as Japanese girls. I also thought people who were involved such event did the good job. I'm really glad to know you had a great experience in Japan.
See you tomorrow at Makino!!!!
So pretty! I am hella jealous of you right now, grrrrr!
ReplyDeleteSo pretty! I'm so jealous of you right now!! I hate you so much, lol.
ReplyDelete