Tuesday, January 26, 2010

日本語 の クラス! Japanese Class and Gamagori!

I forgot to update last week...sorry about that!  Honestly, not much happened.  I did, however, get to try on a furisode!  One of my students owns a kimono store.  I went to visit him, and he let me try one on!

This is my student helping me put on my kimono.  He's really awesome.

This is me, looking all sorts of sexy.  XD

Last Sunday was pretty fun.  I had my first Japanese class.  It was chotto muzukashii (a little hard).  It took me forever to find the place it was held at.  Thank God for the guy standing out front of the building.  He saw me and knew that I was looking for the class.  I had passed by the building a couple of times before he stopped me.

When I got into the school, which was actually an old toshokan (library), I took off my shoes and experienced just how big my feet really are...the slippers they had for me didn't really fit.  But it wasn't too bad.

They did a short little interview with me in another room while the class was being held, so I missed the first half.  By the time I got to the class, the lesson was nearly over.  Luckily for me, one of the ladies helped me to catch up.  We learned about the difference between kashimasu and karimasu.  I also learned a useful way to tell people my job!  I'm not an eigo no sensei, I'm an eigo kyoushi (both mean English teacher, one is just better)!

After the lesson we were given time for self study.  One of the ladies helped me by giving me a small portion of a practice exam aimed at passing the JLPT4(the Japanese Language Proficiency Test...four is the lowest level).  Somehow, I did well!  They were shocked, as was I.

After class, Rhett and I took the train to Gamagori.  We went to an electronics store called Eiden.  I was hoping to find an electronic dictionary to help me with my studies.  I was also hoping for a scanner, so I could start drawing again.  No luck on either sadly.  I found what I wanted, but they were sold out of SIX (or so) DIFFERENT MODELS!  It was ridiculous!  They even got my hopes up by saying they had a certain model, having me pay for it, and then giving me back my money because they didn't actually have it.

Gamagori is on the ocean, so we got to see the ocean from Japan for the first time!


After that we went to Apita.   Apita is a pretty big department store, with tons of stuff in it.  They had everything from a supermarket to a game center.

 
The toy section was enormous. There were tons of Hello Kitty, Pokemon, and Gundam things.  There was also a whole section of anime figures.  It was soooooo hard not to buy one.

Gundam fans...eat your hearts out.  These are all under 50 bucks.

If you didn't know, if it's in Japan...it must be cute.  PERIOD.

We took the train home, but it wasn't without incident.  Apparently, we got on an express train...it completely skipped over Kota!  But, we just got on a local train in Okazaki, and everything worked out.

1 comment: