Friday, September 28, 2012

マンリー活動 - Manly Activities: DIY

Well to be honest it's more about saving money, going green, and working on post-apocalyptic furnishing skills. But just imagine I'm asserting my dominance and masking my weaknesses by using tools and muscle to build!

Well at least I started out with tools: hand-cranked drill, screwdriver, hand-saw, a bunch of two-by-fours, and a couple of table-tops. I built a prototype folding table which ended up unusable as a table and now takes on the role of a kitchen counter-top. Learning from my mistakes I built two folding tables. Then a bench.

A year passed and we decided we required another table and a computer desk. While the tables and bench are great and functional, they are quite heavy and required alot of semi-precise measuring and cutting. This time I thought I'd try something a bit lighter and less exact so I went to the store and bought an armful of bamboo and lots of thin rope.



Now my tools are a hacksaw to cut the bamboo and scissors to cut the string. Each frame requires about 25-30 lashings and takes about 15 hours of labor. The end result is a surprisingly sturdy, exotic table frame that you can easily move around with one hand. For the table top, we went cheap and got a laminated chunk of plywood. I would have gone bamboo for the tops but students might find it a little hard to write.


No comments:

Post a Comment